Sunday, February 14, 2016

We're Farmers!

A while back I mentioned that I was having a tractor repaired so I could use it to get some work done around the farm.  The weeds have been growing in the fields and the last time they were cut was fall of 2014.  They obviously need some attention.  On top of that, we want to start a garden this spring/summer and now would be a great time to plow up part of one of the fields, get the grass and weeds breaking down in the soil so it will be ready to plant by April.

Two weeks ago I got the tractor back from the repair shop. To refresh your memory, this is what the tractor looked like before he worked on it and fixed it up.

Just needs a little TLC
This is what it looks after its tune-up and tractor store makeover.
What a difference a new seat and new grill make.  There's more changes under the hood.
I couldn't wait to jump on it and get started...uh...farming.  Just one more thing.  I needed a quick Tractor 101 course in how this thing operates and how to hook up implements.  Turns out it wasn't all that hard.  There are gears, a high and low transmission range, a lever to raise and lower the implements, another lever to engage them and a throttle.  If you can drive a stick shift, you can pretty much drive a tractor.

Hooking up the implements, in this case the bush hog, takes a little finesse.  It's not that hard, but it does require backing up to the implement and getting it aligned reasonably close to attach it to the 3 point hitch and the driveshaft. You can't just pick up a 500lb (or more) bush hog and move where you want it.

The bush hog, like the tractor, has been on the farm for quite a while itself.  It's been sitting out in the field, completely overgrown with blackberry brambles for several years.  Neta's dad pulled it out of the field with his pickup, gave it a little WD40 in spots and greased the fittings.  It was good as new, though it looks aren't glamorous.
It's not pretty, but it gets the job done.
Once all of that was set up, it was time to mow the fields.  I spent a few minutes just riding around to get a feel for the tractor itself, a test drive in a sense.  After that it was time to get out into the fields and mow.  I spent about an hour mowing.  I spent the rest of the evening smiling.  I had a tractor!  I couldn't want for the upcoming weekend so I could clear the rest of the weeds and tall grass from around the farm.  Unfortunately Mother Nature had other plans.  It rained a couple of days that week, but I did some mowing on Friday evening in the few dry spots I could find.  That Saturday it rained again and washed out my weekend of tractor bonding.

This past weekend (Valentine's Day weekend.  How appropriate!) it was dry.  We'd had dry, breezy weather all week and the ground had dried out enough.  It was time to finish the fields.
Sizing up it's prey...tall weeds and grass.
I spent a glorious morning cutting the big field (above to the right) and the areas around the large barn (above to the left).  I broke for lunch and was ready to tackle the rest of the farm when I noticed fuel dripping out from around the top of the fuel tank.

Part of the repairs involved a new fuel line and other work.  Robert and I looked things over, not that we're tractor mechanics or anything, but there appeared to be a line that returns fuel to the fuel tank near the cap. It was leaking where it attaches to the tank.  It wasn't leaking initially, and it didn't look cracked or old, so I can see how they probably didn't consider replacing it.  So...back to the shop for hopefully not long.
That one thingy attaches to that other thingy.
I spent the rest of the day working with Neta's dad trimming trees along the edge of the field.  But don't despair.  It'll be up and running again soon.  In the meantime, just think about this last picture and the amount of joy I am getting by owning a tractor.
WOO HOO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment