Sunday, April 2, 2017

THE (second) BEST DAY EVER!!!

When I was turning sixteen (around 1978), all I could think about was getting a cool car.  I wanted one of the muscle cars of the early 70's.  They went fast, looked cool, sounded tough and could smoke their tires.  They were the cars most of the guys I grew up with dreamed of.
A car just like this filled my dreams as young driver.

I had my eye on one in particular.  It was a 1970 or '71 (I believe) Chevy Chevelle SS that a family friend owned.  It had a 396 cubic inch engine, " 4 on the floor", mag wheels, racing stripes up the hood, the works.  It was the perfect car for me.

My parents, and probably too my insurance company, didn't think so and I ended buying a 1970 Volvo sedan.  Not very muscle-y.  And telling the high school girls that I drove a "sexy European import" didn't make as much of an impression as you might think.  Still, my friends and I had tons of memories in that car including the night we had to stuff about 11 of us in on the way to homecoming dance because a friend's car broke down.  Good times.

See!  It's a sexy European import!
Anyway...cars come and go.  Dreams fade and reality sets in.  But sometimes new dreams emerge.  A dream I've been harboring since we moved to Georgia and bought our farm.  Finally that dream came true on, of all days, April Fool's Day.  No...this is not a joke.

In terms of best days of my life, April 1, 2017 has to be near the top.  Of course the day I married Neta was the best day...you know, having time to reflect on its overall impact.  And I'm not just saying that because she corrected me when I left it off the list the first time or two.  Just kidding.  No, this April 1st was one of the best days because finally, after almost 2 years of waiting, dreaming, researching and driving by the store enough times to nearly qualify for a restraining order, I bought a brand new...TRACTOR!!!

It's no muscle car, but it could pick one up.
Man, dog, tractor.  There is a country music song in that picture.

So far, I've only put about an hour and a half of time on it.  I've hauled a few loads with the bucket and cleaned up a pile of sand next to the house and dumped it in a hole behind one of the old barns.  Pretty standard stuff.

Next week my "tillovator" arrives.  I traded my old tractor for it and it's going to come in handy as we expand the garden and also create a wildflower meadow.

It didn't come with a "dog seat", but I'm going to investigate what accommodations can be made.
Along with tilling up more garden space we have a lot of areas we want to clear the timber debris from so we can maintain them a bit better and plant some other trees.  Just having the ability to scoop and haul stuff, in addition to bush-hogging, plowing/tilling and using the bucket to scrape and smooth areas is going to make my job and our lives so much easier.

Farm work just got easier and a whole lot more fun!

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting development in life to go from wanting to ride classic '70s muscle cars to dreaming to get behind the wheel of a tractor. I have to say, I find your story very inspiring! Just goes to show that with the right motivation, you can make your dreams come true. Good luck with the new tractor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and thanks for reading our blog!

      Delete