Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Designing Woman

Fair warning - this whole post is going to be about paint colors.



Now we are getting to some of the fun stuff on the house, like finishes and paint colors. Or at least it used to be fun, before I had to pick everything out and make sure it all worked together.  Let me just say that I have a new found respect for designers and the incredibly difficult work they do. Or maybe it was just difficult for me. Craig says he doesn't care about these things and leaves the decisions up to me. He's lying, but that is what he says.  He does leave the decisions up to me, he just questions each and every one!

For years, I kept a notebook full of inspiration torn from magazines.  Then Pinterest came around and I have approximately one billion pins of house inspiration.  That was the easy part. Turning all those pictures into actual selections was the hard part. What really helped was going through them and identifying what they had in common. That's how we decided to go with the galvanized roof.  I thought I wanted a darker color, but when I looked at all my pictures of houses I admired, almost all of them had a galvanized roof.  Since I don't have the Property Brothers drawing pictures of what my house is going to look like when it is done (oh, if only) looking at pictures of similar houses really helps me see what works and what doesn't.

I thought picking paint colors would be fairly easy, because there are plenty of "whole house paint schemes" on Pinterest.  I planned to make it easy on myself by just picking one of those. But none of the plans I found were quite right. Call me Goldilocks, only instead of running away I ran to the paint store.  Did you know that Sherwin Williams has thousands of colors?  More than 60 shades of white. Did you know that chromaticity is an actual word?  I wish I did not know these things!

It took me a lot of pondering and changing my mind repeatedly but I did finally, finally come up with all my colors. It is sort of a farm-on-the-beach color scheme. Or as I will henceforth be calling it: low-country farmhouse.  Who knows, maybe I will start a trend!

I wound up picking 3 of those 60-plus shades of white (Cotton White, Summer White and Pure White).  Other colors are: Sand Dollar, Sea Salt, Tidewater, Meander, Honeydew, and On the Rocks.  I didn't pick these based on their names, but some of them sure fit pretty well! Meander blue will be on the porch ceiling, for the traditional "haint blue"' effect. We had to do some finagling to get a paintable porch ceiling; the original plan was for it to be vinyl but the blue options weren't quite right (Goldilocks again). So we're going with hardie board instead. Craig's desire for low maintenance was no match for my notebook full of haint blue porches!

The picture above has all the color swatches we're using. They are laid out on a sample cabinet door that our cabinet maker painted with a custom color I requested. That's right - those thousands of colors weren't enough for me so I combined two of them.  To be fair, I just wanted an in-between shade of two consecutive colors (Oyster Bay and Retreat).  I am calling it Bay Retreat in a shout-out to Craig's upbringing on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  Or maybe it is just me being pretentious but no one thinks that, right?

Right?!!

Bonus points if you read this far, and even more if you got the title reference...

The Sugarbakers weren't available, unfortunately. 







No comments:

Post a Comment